Sunday, September 06, 2009

finally home and on the mend

Grover our 7 year old weimaraner became extremely ill in the middle of the night on Wednesday. By 7:30 the next morning he could barely walk, and was the sickest we’ve ever seen him. Jim rushed him to our vet and was there waiting when they opened at 9am. He called me about 30 minutes later to tell me that Grover was in shock, extremely dehydrated, and his body temperature was dropping but he was stable for the moment. X-rays were taken and it was discovered that Grover somehow contracted HGE (Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis) He was given IV fluids from Thursday morning until late Friday night when he was finally allowed to come home. He is still a very sick pup, and is taking three antibiotics but is getting stronger everyday.
For those reading that are pet lovers, you understand how upsetting it is when you are close to losing your pet. Not all dogs are lucky enough to make it thru the battle with HGE, we are so thankful that we got him to our vet in time and that God kept his hand on him and saved his life. Count all your blessings today, even those of your beloved animals!
Grover was our very first dog and is still our baby. He is and always will be a special part of our family. Luciana and he even share the same birthday of August 4th!

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Poor Grover! I wish for a speedy recovery! He looks sad sad! Oh I wish I could give him a big hug! My heart goes to you and your family. I know how you are feeling!

In This Wonderful Life said...

SO SO sorry about your pup!!! I know how tough a sick one can be! I hope he gets better soon!!

Jessica said...

Poor buddy! Get well soon, Grover!

Lauren said...

Oh, girl... he's so precious. So glad he's on the mend and getting better and better each day!

Heather said...

so glad to hear that he is going to be ok!!

Grover said...

My daddy is the best! He slept downstairs on the floor with me every night to make sure I could make it outside. He sure made me feel better!

Rebekah said...

Seriously, I teared up reading this! I love my two four legged girls like they are my kids! They were our kids for ten years! I hope Grover is doing better. He is precious!